Friday 15 February 2013

Commitment Issues

All sorts of things go through your mind when you are onstage. Its a a confusing and multi-coloured blur: what bit is this, is this going to work, are they enjoying it, am I doing it right....

Thinking. Its a necessary part of getting your act right. But sometimes it intrudes, so much so that you lose the moment, you lose the impact, you lost the NOW of your act. And good acts need the NOW.

For years I have tried to work out what makes acts good. Seriously, its a bugger of a question. But the act that is really there, in the moment, feeling it, almost unconscious, that is probably a good act.

I've had a few acts. Most were ok. But two stand out-  Last Temptation and Trampoline. Why? Mainly cos I cant do them without really getting into it, I cant not throw myself there and be in the moment. I enjoy both acts massively. And its shows. Last Temptation is the second act I ever did and it still gets requested 6 years later. Its not a complicated or glam act, its not even that original, its just funny and you cant help but get carried away by it.

And thats the thing, you need to to get carried away by your act. If you dont, no one else will. You need to commit. But how the fudge do you do that? For me, its almost random, except with the trampoline where I have to be in the moment or I might die lol.

How do you commit to committing?

Actually, I don't know the answer to this. I feel my performance, trampoline excepted, is really inconsistent, sometimes I am on, sometimes I am not. But I do know, a brilliant act has to be feeling it, not self-indulgent, not nervous, not self-conscious, not egotistcal, but right there, not even thinking, just doing. Pity its so bloody difficult!

No comments:

Post a Comment